Thursday, March 16, 2006

Winter, no Spring and the RAF

My God its been cold today, a real icy wind and threatening snow, which as you all know by now, doesn’t make an appearance in the West, let alone the South.

I almost did a post at 3am last night, one of those nights where I can’t sleep, time of month so have taken loads of painkillers and am literally speeding and I was going to have such a rant over men. Yes, men, the one’s and only, but then I decided that there was no point, so I shelved the idea and just read a WHOLE book and so I feel pretty awful today.

I helped my Dad put up a Sparrow Box, a bird box with three holes, a ‘sparrow terrace’ and as we have the little sparrows here, we’re very much blessed, we thought we’d give them a helping hand. So there I am holding the ladder while my dad is screwing it to the wall and I CAN’T feel my hands, so, so cold and then a huge RAF Harrier jet thunders over which almost knocks him off the ladder. They’re so silent when they come and then suddenly WHOOSH right over your head. I used to hate them with a passion, scarring all and sundry but now I quite like them and especially the Hercules who fly low, so low, their engines and propellers humming and you can almost reach out and touch them. After 9/11 the skies were FULL of them with up to 8 jets flying low with the Hercules. What a sight. When they come over it gives me a real thrill. Years ago, two came over SO low, 2 fighter jets and I was in the field with the cows and I gave them a BIG wave and I swear to you all, one gave me a BIG wave back! So ever since then I’ve waved EVERY time!

Odd things you do in the country! But then I’m used to planes. Back home in London we’re on 4 flight paths. Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and the City Airport. Also the same flight path of the Battle of Britain flight path to Heathrow where the Concorde and 6 Red Arrows flew over. Amazing. I do miss the Concorde, every week day night at 6pm, the silver bird flying in the blue sky of the sunset, and the orange colours hitting the plane creating a yellow shining light in the skies, awesome!
And as a child in Buckinghamshire, with my Auntie and Uncle in the back garden of Old Crown Cottage waving to the little independent planes that used to fly over, again in the vivid blue skies of the summer. Wow, a real trip back down memory lane, I’m there now, in the fields of gold and the fields of wild poppies and the deer that used to run across and the mad March hares at dusk. You can see why I LOVE the country SO much, it’s in my blood, and it’s in my soul.

Ok, not much else to add, my head is in the clouds!

Apart from the pictures of today. Gloomy day, cottage from the end of the garden, another one of my ‘knarled wood’ series, that NO-ONE commented on last night cos you’re ALL crap, all you friends, promising you would comment, apart from my faithful’s (T and Fi. . .that rhymes!) not a sausage! Plus two pictures of some first springtime flowers, ‘Lungwort’, one’s blue and the other pink, is it the male and female, who knows?






Snow predicted tomorrow by our local postman who NEVER gets it wrong, so hopefully some pictures of whiteness tomorrow, and about BLOODY TIME TOO!!!!!!

EEEEKKKK, SNOW, I NEED SNOW, FOR MY SANITY PLEASE GIVE ME SNOW, or I’ll emigrate to Minnesota!

Emy xxx

1 comment:

tuckmac said...

Trust me... You don't want to do Minnesota. Did you see my comparison today?

Gah.

Two hours today, snowblowing, shovelling and "roof-raking"

Not fun.

Flowers are really pretty, by the way... The name "Lungwort" is pretty awful, but the plant is pretty.

Smiles,
T