Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Black Dogs, Jay's Grave, Terrifying Mists and Fantastic Clouds

Hello all!

Yes, many more pictures today. We went to Bovey Tracy, Devon Guild of Craftsmen shop and exhibition. They have had the same stuff for the last 10 years! The space is bigger and now there is a nice cafe on top. Then we drove through Haytor on the moor and Dartmoor was true to form, couldnn't see a bloody thing. Thick, low mist and drizzle, the kind of atmosphere when you feel a black hellhound would spring out on you from the bleakness! Good pictures though, but I'd rather have shown you miles and miles of valleys, hills, fields and the sea, oh well!










And a picture of Jay's Grave. A local folk tale of a poor woman who became pregnant and then committed suicide and as she was a pauper/servant girl and as she took her own life she couldn't be buried in a church yard so they buried her on the road. Fresh flowers are left there daily, said 'to be brought by the Devon pixies.'





Onto Chagford and my Dad modelling a rather nice deerstalker hat!




Back to Okehampton for Waitrose shopping, yes, even in deepest Devon there are signs of civilisation! Our friend Sue is coming for dinner on Thursday, without the family, as in her husband Rod and her daughter Katie as they've both gone skiing, one in Austria the other France!

Then home for lovely skies, amazing clouds, one looking a little like Mickey Mouse! And in time for Neighbours where Harold Bishop tried to strangle Paul Robinson. . . LONG story!










Before I sign off for another day, I must tell you these crazy names for villages in the West that always raises a smile:

Swell
Crapstone (no, really, I'm serious!)
Catsgore
Sheepwash
Nomansland
Spinster’s Rock

Cool aye?

Emy xxx

2 comments:

Macascot said...

I love your foggy photos. It looked like that in Minnesota two days ago, although that was snow gusting around.....
Keep up the good work,

Fi

Unknown said...

Thanks Fi, It's funny, I wasn't sure of the foggy pics until I downloaded them, when I took them, I didn't see the point, couldn't see a damn thing!

I bet the snow looks lovely,

E x