Tuesday, March 28, 2006

More British Slang

Hey this is a follow up post from the other day where I told you about London Cockney Rhyming Slang, well heres another, but this time for you yanks:

The Evening Standard writes:

'The BBC's American arm has produced a dictionary of British slang so US viewers can make sense of classice shows from the UK.
The "Limey lexicon" comes as British and Irish comedy hits, including Little Britain, Father Ted, Blackadder and The Young Ones, become increasingly popular in the US.
It contains more than 2,000 pieces of slang from "bladdered" to "barnet" and "wonky". BBC America also broadcasts Goodness Gracious Me, Bargain Hunt and Fottballer's Wives. The American DVD of The Office was given subtitles to help viewers negotiate David Brent's Slough vowels. US magazines printed a Sheffield dialect guide to accompany the Full Monty.'

I think it is needed. But not only for the US, me as well! I used to spend long times on the trains, going back and forth to places and I used to encounter many northeners and I found it hard to understand what they were saying! But that's more to do with accent. But then if you don't know the culture then you certainly wouldn't understand 'Blackadder'. Your comments please. Oh and the link, I almost forgot! BBCAMERICA

See you all tomorrow,

Emy xxx

No comments: