Friday, April 21, 2006

Gemma and Gola

Gemma's new place (No.5, Flat 3) Front View

Gemma

Back View

Well, hello folks!

I went to see Gemma today to her new flat. It's a nice little 2 bedroom flat in a large Edwardian house, typical of the South East and what a magnificent home it would have made when it was once one whole house. A lovely communal garden at the back, though lacking in plants and flowers. They have a gardener, but he only cuts the grass. If I was there I would grow plants, I can't be in a garden without flowers! So we had a really nice lunch and then went for a wander and ended up in the nearest pub! It was even warm enough to sit outside in the beer garden!

Last night the two neighboring cats caught a tiny mouse. It was still alive, so I rescued it from teeth and claw (not that they knew what to do with it, I think they were baffled by it and only wanted to play. . . though no excuse! They got a bloody telling off!). So we put 'her' in a shoe-box with leaves, tissues, nuts and water and left her inside, taped up, for the night. I was really expecting her to be dead by morning, as she was in great shock. But the little thing was still alive and she had drunk all the water and eaten the nuts! So I've named her 'Gola' after the shoe-box brand!!!! She has one eye shut and one eye open and she's back in the box for tonight (she's getting better, because she bit my finger earlier when I was cleaning her out!) and my Dad is going to make her a small home in the garden, as in a cat proof home, so she can come and go as she pleases. We've always had mice in the garden (thank God they're not rats) and this is where I don't like cats. Ok, they can't help it, but least in the wild they catch to kill for food. These domestic lot, catch to play and I'm so glad I found Gola when I did, the poor little mite was traumatized and she wouldn't have lasted. So in a way, I'm her savior, even though she bit me! I don't know, I seem to have a habit of giving animals names as you can see from my animal-equals bog, but it's better then calling them 'it' or 'her' or 'thing'. They are all equal little beings, all mice, shrews, voles and I love them a lot and as they're so tiny I kind of feel responsible for them, especially when cats are concerned.

'Gola'

Gola, before she bit me

Gola, after she bit me. . .Ouch!

It was lovely and warm today, so much like Spring going into Summer, all the birds were singing, it really was like paradise! If it's lovely tomorrow, I might take a walk through Greenwich Park, but it won't be the same, there will be loads of people putting up tents and barriers for the Marathon. I hate this time of year, why can't they all piss off????!!!!!!

On that 'lovely' note, I shall wish all of you goodnight and goodnight to Gola!

Emy xxx

P.S. Gola is a Wood Mouse, click here to read all about her!
And Gemma is a human (well, you knew that already!)

3 comments:

Ian russell said...

i've just been reading about greenwich park - how peaceful it is - i've never been; i used to live on the other side of London - north west!

the mouse looks like it lost an ear?! :o(

steve said...

Hello there Gola. Good for you for giving him hand Emy (though I'm sure those cats aren't liking you much now, taking away their way fun toy). Speedy recovery to you then Gola.

Unknown said...

Well Gola is in a bad way, she has only one eye and a broken front leg, so it will be a trip to the vets to put her asleep tomorrow. But she is eating and tearing up the tissue in the box. Years ago my parents had a mouse called 'Billy' it fell through the air from a tall building and landed on the pavement in front of my mum. His back was badly damaged but he lived as a pet for 2 years afterwards. I'm hoping Gola would survive for that. See what the vet says.

She does have both her ears by the way.

E x