Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Birds of the Feathered Kind and KENT

The road to the reserve
The Bridge over the Medway, Kent, Elmey Marshes
Shadows of Myself and My Dad (him with the binoculars!!!!)

The Medway Estuary
Hello all,

Beautiful sunny day! Whoopee, Spring has sprung!

Over the years my Dad and I have gone out for days together, whether it's to Kent or Sussex for walking or birdwatching. . .or both and we've always had so much fun, always finding these eccentric pubs for lunch (which we did today, The Yew Tree in Sandling, wow, what a hoot! Full of OAP's having discount lunches with a bottle of red or white!). We found ourselves close to the Isle of Sheppey on this WONDERFUL RSPB reserve (we're members, so it's free) Elmey Marshes. My God, 3100 acres of marsh, all in a blue, sunny day, full of wading birds(listen to their sounds in blue, please!); Avocets, Lapwings ( my fave birds) Black tailed Godwits, Oyster Catches, Redshanks, Curlews (wow, the Curlews with haunting cries, flocks of them flying over our heads), Herons, Coots, Moorhens, Yellow Wagtails, Little Ringed Plovers, Skylarks (yeah, I know my birds!) and a few Rabbits and Sheep. Fantastic. We had the hide all to ourselves! Very lucky! It was a lovely day and my face is burning from the sun. So pictures:
Only in Kent will there be a pwer station surrounded by beauty!!!!
Meday Estuary
Elmey RSPB Reserve

The New Bridge (not yet opened)
The Journey home on the M20

Night folks!

Love Emy xxx

No comments: