Saturday, May 27, 2006

More Rain, it DOESN'T STOP!

Hey everyone, I'm sorry about the distinct lack of blogging on my part these last few days, I blame the weather! It has been wet, cold and miserable so its given me time in my studio, which I've enjoyed a lot, although I'm exhausted to put it mildly. It's amazing how much brain power is needed to paint!

Not much has been happening though. We haven't had a chance to go anywhere much because of the rain, although the sun was out on Thursday and these are the pictures I took on that day, but firstly a new painting:


Not the best photograph I'll grant you. It's in acrylic and sand and around 150 cm across and 80cm down. Notice how my colours are rather dark, well, that's the weather. This is one of a pair, the latter is drying as I type this. At the end of these few weeks in Devon, I'll paint my studio wall white and photograph them all properly!

This is the pub in Shebbear and the story goes that the devil came one night and left a large stone in the centre of the village and every year on 5th November the locals turn it over to the other side to ward off evil spirits. Mad I know! But what can you do with superstitious Devon?


The church at Shebbear


Fred (!) No, he's not really called Fred, just kidding!

The good old Victorians, they nicely ruined this church!


In the pub's ladies toilet was an old school picture from Edghill School, Bideford, taken in 1932. I had to take a picture of this as the woman in white must have been the school's matron, They don't wear clothes like that anymore, do they?! And where are they all now? Not much of an end to end up in a toilet!

My Scots Pine from the main road (A386 heading towards Okehampton)

Heading towards 'our' patch, Dartmoor view from the top road

Our spacious cottage yard

And finally the Hawthorn is flowering


Bee at 9 o'clock!

It's actually such a lovely feeling to start painting again. Yesterday I felt so relaxed afterwards and walked around in a dream, the world my oyster and everything, even in the rain, seemed wonderful!

Emy xxx







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

emily, it seems there's more rain in devon than in manchester nowadays. good to know that you've started painting again and really looking forward to seeing more of your new paintings soon.