Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sheep and Mad People or Mad Sheep and People


Ok random picture of a sheep, random freaky picture of a sheep that is! Taken, where else, but in Devon under a full moon (though you can't make that out, but it's there somewhere). I'm not so fond of sheep as I am of cows, but I still love them. Sheep I find hilarious creatures and especially as a child, holidaying at my friend's farm, Dunsbeare - yeah in Devon - which is a field and a wood and a field and a field away from the cottage (we don't measure things there in distance, only over land, well I do . . .) where I would always go and see the tame ones with biscuits, they were never peaceful, they always played rough, all pushing and shoving for the best custard cream and standing on my toes and knocking me down, terrifying for a 9 year old! Especially when they saw me coming one day, they all ganged together and chased me across the field, I had NEVER leapt a gate like I did that day in my life, even being chased by cows (yeah, I find sheep scarier then cows!) WEIRD I KNOW!!!! Although I've met some darn nice, clever sheep. Take the sheep my friends have now, Pippa and Chrissy, my friend Sue dots on them, they really are like part of the family. Even though they are fully grown they still leap and dance like new spring lambs! It's a pleasure to watch them and film them when I have the chance!





And here's a picture of Sue and her sheep, Katie (Sue's daughter) if you're reading this, I hope you don't mind me including your mum and her sheep in this blog, it's just the world SHOULD be told about these delightful little creatures and their number one fan! Which Sue is, oh yes, like me with my cows, Sue's never happier then when she's with her woolly friends and I can see why!

I've known many a sheep at Dunsbeare they used to have a flock of several hundred, but there were always a few tame ones in the orchard, nibbling your fingers, chasing and nudging you!

There's a lovely passage in a book I read recently called 'The Pig Who Sang to the Moon. The Emotional World of Farm Animals' by Jeffrey Masson, talking about a woman who has lived with sheep all her life and "loves them beyond all measure, simply because they are sheep, (and) remarks on how comical they look when she calls them by name. They race towards her, jumping through the clover with all four feet a few inches off the ground at once." Beautiful and I've witnessed the same with Chrissy and Pippa!

Well, that's enough about sheep for one day. You just WAIT until I get onto cows, I've only really just scraped the surface with my Bovine friends! And expect a lot more pictures of both animals when I return to Devon (soon I hope, I miss it so, I dream about it most nights!) (I really MUST get a life) so here beneath this paragraph is a picture of one of Dunsbeare's bullocks taken at Christmas time, isn't he the most adorable animal you've ever set eyes on?



Comments please about sheep and cows (and please no jokes about how tasty they are, and no, I don't eat them myself so it WON'T GO DOWN WELL!!!) Ha!

Well that's it for now and hello and goodbye to one and all!

Emy xxx

3 comments:

tuckmac said...

{gasp} Attempting to hold back...

{ugh, gahck... ER...}

{gasp} Don't make the jokes... Don't do it Tucker! {gasp} control yourself....


AAAARRRGGHGHGHHGHGHG!

Unknown said...

Ok very funny glad you enjoyed yesterdays blog!

Anonymous said...

Ghost Sheep? Oh, your God! Please do not eat it :)

Em, you have lots of brilliant pic .

What a beautiful land where I am missing.

Enjoy your snow and Coming spring.

With the very best wishes,

Jun Gao