Saturday, February 11, 2006

A rant, and it's about bloody time too!!!!!

Hello everyone, this is a rant about Post Compulsory Education and how stupid it is. A few years ago you could teach without a training course, so that’s why I did an MA thinking naively that that was still the case but I was SO wrong. Now the godforsaken government of this country says you need to be trained for a year and it’s not just teaching it’s all to do with business, politics, and pages and pages of abbreviations there is actually NO joy of the subject, no nothing.

I applied to three colleges in the South East, two didn’t even give me an interview, saying I didn’t fit in with their ‘criteria’ what do hell does that mean? I have good school grades, a BA and a MA, I’ve carried out work experience in my relevant subject and apparently (according to my refreee) he gave me glowing reviews!
One college gave me an interview and so I went along and encountered unbelievable obnoxious people, not just the staff but also the applicants, I’ve never seen a bunch of people so full of themselves and I’m sure they shout over the rooftops, ‘ME ME ME!’ So three hours later I left knowing full well I didn’t stand a chance in hell. I was told by the girl sitting next to me that there were only 2 places available for my subject and this is the UNFAIR bit, there were 4 of us wanting to do the same subject (ok Art & Design) and two were already doing MA Fine Art at the college so obviously they would have higher priority over anyone else. DISGUSTING. Plus the fact that 95% of these places are filled up with people who are ALREADY teachers, those who have taught for years yet now have to have the qualification to continue. So people like you and me do not have a chance in HELL! I’ve read that this country is crying out for young teachers of ALL professions, well they’ve lost one, and believe me I would have made a GREAT teacher, my best friend Mary has been telling me that FOR years!

Now still with no money and no future I’m about to apply for post- graduate jobs in Art & Design, working in galleries and museums. To get my own career as an artist I NEED TO EARN, painting is my life and yet I don’t sell anything even though when people see my work they wonder why I don’t sell, well to all of you, WHY DON’T YOU PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!!!!! STOP WASTING MY BLOODY TIME!!!!!

Though I do have one BIG problemo, where to live? My studio is in Devon, yet I spend most of my time in London. If I get a job in London, I can’t go to Devon and vice versa, anyone got any suggestions?

Oh well, I’m sure it’ll all work out and no I didn’t get into the third college, they had the cheek to keep me waiting for a decision for 3 weeks AND sent me the wrong rejection letter . . .’we’re so sorry, we WON’T give you an interview’ BUT I’VE ALREADY HAD AN INTERVIEW YOU FUCKERS!!!!! Disorganised bunch of twats . . .

Sorry, I don’t usually swear but I think it’s justified.

Eeek

Anyway, drinking tonight and eating lovely food after a months diet, least I’ve got rid of the Christmas weight!

Lots of love to one and all (Saw my dog fox this morning, he’s a looker!!!)


Emyxxxx

2 comments:

tuckmac said...

Em...

I'm so sorry about the third college. I'm surprised you didn't put up it's name...

Being careful to not slander is one thing... But hell... They sent you the wrong notice... They are evil... And it would be fun.

But it's YOUR blog, so I won't put up the name, although I know they're evil, and I freaking hate them too... For different reasons, but I feel for you.

I'm sorry that you're not going to be able to do your teaching-cert thing now. You know... You could always do it later.

Well... Although you and I are going to be competing for jobs now... As I'm applying to those same "art and design post-graduate" jobs...

I still wish you luck. Heck... I wish ALL of us luck!

Stick with it... You're worth something. Hey... Why don't you go for jobs in Devon? I saw quite a few!

Smiles,
Tuckmac

Unknown said...

Hey,

Thanks Tucker for that, you made me smile and think aaaahhh bless! That whole teaching thing was never meant to be, I will try again one day. I am going to phone the 3rd college tomorrow about the wrong letter, I think I should, that's no way to run a college, and I'll tell them that!!!!

Emy xxx