Friday, February 10, 2006

A Defence for the Urban Fox

Foxes. Urban foxes. The reason I'm writing about foxes is that last night I had a strange encounter with one. Because of the pain in my teeth I had to take an aspirin and as aspirins always do it kept me awake all ROTTEN NIGHT! Plus they ALWAYS give me a stomach ache so in the end I had to go downstairs for a sandwich.

The moon was shining brightly so I went outside and sat on the bench, taking in the sounds and smells of London at night. . . Plus having to put up with the infernal dim of a police helicopter circling above my head with full searchlight (as it does most nights over Lewisham - did you know that Lewisham's Police Station is the largest in Europe? They even have horses!). So there I was minding my own business when an almighty bang clamored at the end of the garden. Something large and heavy had leapt onto the fence and dropped down into the garden. I froze. A fox. A dog fox. He padded slowly up to the pond, took a drink and then sneezed. Then he saw me. He stood stock still and cocked his head to one side, our eyes met - he was a handsome looking beast in the moonlight, red golden fur, bushy tail and bright gleaming eyes. He looked at me for a few moments and then drank some more water (he must have thought that I was a statue!). Then suddenly he turned his head to one side and barked (yeah, sorry, to the moon he barked) and an answer came from the railway and then he began to screech. I mean really, did he honestly have to do that? Many people describe the sound of foxes make as kind of like someone being brutally killed or a cat drowning. To me it sounded both. So lets assess the situation here, not only were my teeth hurting, my stomach aching and a bloody helicopter circling now also a fox screaming less then 2 metres in front of me, that REALLY took the biscuit, so I thundered "ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" At once he stopped and looked at me. He didn't move, not for a long long time. Then he shook himself, jumped the fence and away into the night. "Wow", I thought to myself, "Wow, I told him to shut-up and he did!"

I love foxes, they're clever beings and very protective of eachother. But most people do not like them, they're a nuisance they say, especially in London where there are so many. There's even an article in the Evening Standard about a man who shoots 30 a week in the capital. I would like to take a gun and shoot him. Urban foxes are unused to guns here and don't save themselves. There are all these stupid articles every so often in the paper "A FOX ATTACKED MY CHILD", "A FOX ATE MY CAT" Rubbish. All a load of complete and utter rotten rubbish!!! The truth about the fox is that WE trespassed on their territory . . .not the other way round. They were here first, long before we came on the scene! We've imposed on them . . . DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?!!!!!!

PLEASE leave a comment when you've read this (anyone?). I'd like to hear your views about these beautiful creatures who suffer so appallingly because of us. Thankyou.

Right, yesterday I don't think I answered my dentists question, and I'm not sure how to answer it. So I'll leave it there.

The pictures for today, one taken in Scotland, where I was this time last year (can't believe it's already a year!) and some more cool cows of Devon, cows like you've never seen them before!!!!





I can't think of much else to add to this. No sleep last night and now cooking all day with my Mum preparing for dinner with a friend tomorrow. Ok, yes, I still live with my parents, which I can't change as yes because I have no money to live elsewhere. Life it sucks, but then so do most things.

Emy x

No comments: