Thursday, February 23, 2006

I Would NEVER Have Guessed

Hey guys, yes, today I have to report to you something I could never have imagined. Yesterday in the Daily Mail (I would give you the link but I still have NO idea how to do it!), there was an article about this country . . .now, wait for it . . ..

‘Truly great Britain is voted the world’s favourite country’

??????????????

That must be wrong somewhere! How is that possible? A survey of nearly 26,000 people in 35 countries have voted UK as the best in a ride range of categories, from sport, culture and politeness.

??????????????

I thought this country was hated. Take for example the annual Eurovision song contest where the UK gets nil points from every country in Europe, yet countries such as Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic were ‘so enthusiastic’ over the UK.

The Top Ten Nations:

1 Britain
2 Switzerland
3 Canada
4 Italy
5 Sweden
6 Germany
7 Japan
8 France
9 Australia
10 U.S.

What’s going on? Of course I think it’s great, but TOTALLY unexpected, my eyebrows have been raised in wonder ever since (they’re beginning to ache now!). Can anyone explain this to me? Do people agree? Comments please.

The French were voted the rudest and the Americans ‘were labelled the most ignorant’ (sorry Tucker, that’s the Mail not me, I DON’T agree with that), though funnily enough thanks to Tony Blair et al the lowest ranking in terms of ‘governance’ was UK, now why doesn’t THAT surprise me?!!!!!!

But still??????????? From a country that still holds the old tradition of the Ravens in the Tower of London. Because of this bird flu madness, the birds have now been locked in the tower, like their predecessors Anne Boleyn and Sir Walter Raleigh!!!! There is an ancient warning, even pre Charles 2nd that if the birds ever left the tower, escaped or destroyed then the towers will crumble and Britain would fall. There has to be 6 birds for the ‘magic’ (?) to work. I think it’s a beautiful legend yet silly in this day and age! Still, your comments please!!!!




Today, no snow. Sleet in the morning that turned into snow, though they say it’s meant to be snowing tonight but they ALWAYS get it wrong!

My gran is out of hospital and back to her nursing home and believe me she’ll be back in that hospital again in two shakes of a lambs tail!!!!! I suppose they NEEDED the bed! And this bug she caught, well she seemed to have spread to her fellow inmates (!) at the home!

I can’t think of much else to add so I’ll sign off now and I hope you are all well and happy,

Lots of amore (that’s love in Italian!)

Emy xxx

3 comments:

Peter O'Phile said...

I'm not 100% sure that Eurovision is a valid barometer for how much a country is liked or disliked. In fact, I'm 100% sure it isn't.

Peter.

Unknown said...

Hey Peter o'phile

Where did you spring from?! I hope my blog is 'passable' to your eyes. I've just read yours and quite frankly, you're one frightening man!

No I don't think of the Eurovision is either but I was sure the world hated us, that's why I'm amazed.

Thanks for your comment

Emi (should be Emy but I don't know how to change it)

tuckmac said...

You wrote:
Americans ‘were labelled the most ignorant’ (sorry Tucker, that’s the Mail not me, I DON’T agree with that)

Well... Hell... I DO!

You have to just put quotes around the word... "Americans" and it becomes the stereotype.

I think "Americans" are some of the most ignorant people I've ever met. I know many Americans who are extremely intelligent and the complete opposite of ignorant.

That being said... I think it's funny that the "country" is considered to be "the most ignorant," 'cause there ARE other countries that are more so...

I can't think of any right now... But I'm sure that there ARE.

;-)

--T