Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Rain Rain PLEASE GO AWAY!

That's it. I've had enough. Not only is the constant sodding rain dampening my spirit, it's also dampening my painting. Yes folks, as I feared, I've lost my creative streak, as in it's all going very, very wrong! The oil is just not working right now and I'm longing to break out of it's hold and start painting in Acrylic again or even gouache!

This grey cloud today engulfed the land for hours of torrential rain

This weather - showers and little glimmers of light

The River Torridge, of course burst it's banks - looking down from Torrington car park

The trees have their waders on again

Although on Sunday the sun shone - a fresh new bud on the Larch

My first daisy of the year - I made a wish

Plus my first Celandine

Of course the daffodils have wilted now

Our own wild, native variety

Then the sun hit them in the vase - WOW!






I love taking pictures of clouds - can you tell?

Yes, you definitely can

The shapes and colours are endless




Dartmoor

Plus they make great shadows (the clouds I mean!)



Dunsbeare Farm

Great - a whole day of sun, then the biggest cloud has to cover the sunset lol!

Flying Rook - hard to catch!


Got him!


Now, the moon

Behind Pine tree branches - or is it just a big white distorted blob?!

On Saturday (3rd March) we witnessed the Lunar Eclipse at Dunsbeare - there for dinner

I do love my little camera!

Almost gone

Then it went orange/red/pink

After this shot, it was too dark to get anything, but least I managed this, if a bit fuzzy

Painted in the first week - still wet, as you can see

Painted today - an experiment - comments please!

As you can see by last painting, I'm trying to break out of my horizon lines, but as I've used them for so long now, it's hard to break out of it!

Here is an extract I wrote about my painting to a friend recently, it explains my passion about why I do what I do:

Of course I find it very
& restricting painting for the short times we have in
Devon and then having to stop for sometimes long
periods when we’re back in London. Starting is the
hardest part and once I start I wonder why I have
wasted so much time before! It is a vicious circle.
But once I’m underway I can’t stop, most of my nights
are filled with dreams of colours and textures and
sometimes I have to get up very early in the morning
to put them down in a notebook. I not only love the
mental side of painting, but the physical too – the
simple method of squeezing paint out of a tube, mixing
it with either white spirit or turps, the endless
variety of colours to choose from – have you ever made
your own paint? – Something I would be very interested
in learning. I enjoy the feel of the paintbrush and
then putting the paint down on canvas – I’m hoping
that a friend of ours in Devon is going to make me
some stretchers as that’s another thing I miss by not
being at art college, and having a workshop and the
chance to stretch my own canvases – and I still
remember how to do it! I’ve always wanted to set up a
video camera on a tripod and actually film the process
of painting, from the very beginning of choosing the
colours/brushes/support/water jars (!) to the final
outcome and perhaps putting it into a time-lapse
sequence – ok, that’s my photographer/filmmaker coming
out of me – never far away!

Of course my friend is a painter too and completely different from mine: His website:

www.jonathanbriggsart.co.uk Go take a look.

Well, that's all folks for now. Catch you all later!

Emy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's been grim and rainy in Manchester as well (well what do you expect....). Some nice photos you took, already missing Devon big time!!

The new experimental painting look refreshing, tho IMHO, prefer your old "horizon lines" ones.

BTW, signed myself up with the Last.fm (http://www.last.fm/user/andytseng/) too, so now you can see what I've been listening while at work... :)