Sunday, January 07, 2007

Hunger & Modern Day Jazz

So it was one of those nights last night - we're all still exhausted from Chrsitmas and New Year and now back on the detox diet - but last night - so tired to cook so got an Indian home delivery instead. It took a bloody hour and half and when we phoned up - twice - they lied through their teeth. Finally it came but with one dish missing - mine of course - and so the guy who dropped it off gave it all to us for free. Well, that was good, a free dinner but they have lost our custom. It doesn't matter as there are loads of Indians in the village, it gives us a chance to try them all! (of course after detox!)

Every New year's Eve we watch Jools Holland's Hootenanny on BBC2. Jools is a national treasure amd he always has less known or obscure people coming on the show to perform. Dear Jools, one damn fine pianist and with his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra, we dance the night away. This time he had a great jazz singer called Madeleine Peyroux - her debut album released 10 years ago, the first before the likes of Joss Stone, Nora Jones or Dido, but she then disappeared until her second album 'Careless Love' and then yet another disappearing act this time losing her voice, she said she couldn't sing or speak for 2 years. But now she's back with another amazing album, 'Half the Perfect World' where she has one song which she duets with K D lang called 'River' written by Joni Mitchell. Her voice has been likened to a modern day Billie Holiday and it's so sultry and beautiful and for anyone like me who loves women jazz singers, she's definitely for you and I predict she's going to be big this year. So go off and pop along to the itunes store or wherever else you listen to music online, trust me you won't be let down.

I hope you are all behaving yourselves and checking my other blogs every day, REMEMBER!

OPENSTUDIO

ANIMAL-EQUALS

Have just updated them now.

Hopefully off to Devon this coming Sunday as I seriously need to work. I've had paintings floating round my head for days and I need to get them down. Also I'm learning to write with my right hand (being left handed) and am doing 20 minute 'sessions' every day in a special notebook. So far so good, but have a nice big blister forming on my right middle finger. No pain no game they say!

Emy xxx

No comments: