Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Great News and ChavFest

Hello all, first some good news and then something funny.

Good news:

Early in December I sent in an application form via email to a gallery in Exeter called 'Exeter Phoenix too' (I suppose they mean 2 but then I suppose they're trying to be clever) with 8 jpegs of my paintings and an artist bio/CV. Since leaving KIAD and my MA I've sent dozens of these application type things across the whole of the British Isles and have had nothing back or a note saying sorry my work just wasn't right. Well, since KIAD and since late last year I've changed my paints to oil - the right move and a few days ago I got a call from Exeter saying they had chosen me, me and 2 other artists out of a thousand applicants! Wow, I jumped for joy in the middle of John Lewis department store in Bluewater (and got a few strange looks). At last something good has come my way and instead of sharing it with the world - as I would have done once - I'm happy to be laid back and keep it under wraps for the time being (obviously some of the world reads this but not all my friends, so apart from this and my best friend Mary no-one else knows - yet). This is a chance to exhibit in corporate business, so not a gallery, something better. The opening in 2nd June (my mum's Birthday) and I need to do an awful lot of work for it and hopefully Devon on Sunday (depending on my grandmother who is on her way out - although has been for the last 12 weeks).

Ok funny part:

In recent years certain places in this country - actually most of the places in this country have been subject to 'Chav Culture' and the Chav definition:

(from Wikipedia)

"Chav is a mainly derogatory slang term in some parts of England for a subcultural stereotype fixated on fashions such as gold jewellery and designer clothing. The term appeared in mainstream dictionaries in 2005.[1][2] The defining features of the stereotype include clothing in the Burberry pattern (notably a now-discontinued baseball cap) and from a variety of other casual and sportswear brands. Tracksuits, hoodies, sweatpants and baseball caps are particularly associated with this stereotype. Musically, chavs tend to like trance, house, and electronic dance music. Response to the term has ranged from amusement to criticism that it is a new manifestation of classism. The term has also been associated with delinquency, the "ASBO Generation", and "yob culture"."

I couldn't have put it better myself.

You see scores of these people everywhere you go, from the high street, bars, cafe's, parks, concerts - believe me they're everywhere and I can't stnad the sight of them and to really drive the message home on how hiralious they are and what they look like and get up to then these 2 videos that my friend Orla found on YouTube are classic:






Excellent.

I laughed so much when I first saw them I almost fell off my chair!

Cheerio!

Emy xxx

1 comment:

tuckmac said...

Em... Congrats on the exhibition! YAY YOU! And yeah... If I get stuff that looks good... I'll always send it your way!

I just subjected my student-workers to these two little clips, and although THEY didn't think the clips were funny... I certainly got a huge kick out of 'em!

Cheers for the fun!
-T