Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Scots Pine Are Going To A New Home. . .

My blog is crying out for photographs, well, here they are: (Pine story last paragraph)

Cloud over wheat (almost ready to cut)

Right, there's 20 of them and only one of me! So I lured them into the field and then clambered over another gate and called out.

They all came, but then ran past, so I went up through the oat field and then down the lane to their gate, of course, they had gone back to the end! It's just I have lost my nerve and some of them are very big, strong and frisky and I don't want to be caught in the middle!

On the way up through the field I had to take this picture, blue and sun at last!

Further up the field I encountered a Roe Deer, as you can see, I only managed to photograph his ears and then he hopped it, as I was in a hurry to get to the cows!

Pot Marigolds in the yard (isn't that the greatest shade of orange?)

The beautiful roses bloom every year without fail

The wheat field at night (the straight red lights at the back is the TV mast)

Classic pine short at Windy Cross

Full moon (at last a clear sky to appreciate it!)






Right, the pines. For my MA project at KIAD I carried out a study of these beautiful trees and with that came my 'working' friendship with the team at Bedgebury Pinetum, Kent. They gave me 10 Scots Pine seedlings to nurture and grow and use for my work (the one above the last photo here was used as part of my installation for my final show). Now 9 have survived (the 10th died in my room in my student flat, too hot and over watered, I actually murdered a pine!) and two definietly are ready to be put in the ground. Bedgebury won't have them back as they weren't grown there and the other place we ear-marked changed hands. So we now have 9 150ft trees in our yard here and today they are going to their new home. Fishleigh Organic farm at Hatherleigh, the same place Bill Odie did his Spring Watch 6 weeks or so ago. The head farmer Peter Walters has a site for them and I'm very happy for them to spend the rest of their lives in Devon. This is the best news yet. We're due there today at 2pm. I'm taking my stills camera and video camera to document their final movements. It'll be sad to see them go.
So I'll be back here later and tell you how it went.

Emy xxx

No comments: