Monday, October 16, 2006

You Can't Beat The 1960's

Ok, my website should be up and running pretty darn soon - it has been so long since it has been updated and I'm totally indebted to my friend Andy who's doing it for me. And for a celebration here is my statement about why I paint - not only that - but why I only paint in Devon:

Source

When I look across Keeper’s Marsh down to Throat Copse where the hares and the foxes and the red deer take cover, I am facing due west. It is from this skyline, distant above the canopy, that the weather – massive, sometimes, like all the maddest of the Gods roped together – comes charging in from the Atlantic, some 15 miles off. The hedges bend and the few remaining pines creak and shudder, their stiff limbs helpless against the onslaught. At such times, Nature is merciless and all that lives can only stand its ground and wait. In hours – days sometimes – the rage is spent and the sky is swept clean for my cousins, the buzzards (wheeling and mewing) and the rooks (rascals and likeable every one) and, in season, the heavenly skylarks and the divine mantra of the yellowhammer which has little to do with bread and cheese. This is North Devon. My wooden studio is in a dip with a 360 degree view of infinity. I’d be a fool if I didn’t paint.


Happiness is to be a painter in that kind of environment. Well, it is if I could only get there. There was talk of next month but now, as my grandma is still so ill, it might have to be in December including Xmas and New Year.

My friend Mary is coming over on Friday for a 60's night. When I was 12 I was the archetypal 60's teenager - wishing I was born in a different time, loving not only the music of the 60's but the culture and the fashion too. I was way ahead of my time - well only by 5 years or so - but that's a long time. And most of my so called friends ridiculed me with my choice of music, I was bullied, teased and laughed at, but I kept strong and continued insisting that the music was the best, that The Beatles were the best band of all time. Then suddenly when I hit 16 I found more contemporary bands from Oasis, Blur to Radiohead and then suddenly all my friends cottoned on to the wonder of the 60's and I sat back in my chair saying, "I told you so". The 60's then made a HUGE comeback and is still very much apparent in the charts of today. And now Mary, who has almost got over her 80's obsession as gone head first into the 60's and basically wants a crash course on that incredible time. So in steps me and my music archives on my itunes, and not to mention parents old LP's and 45's. But there are holes in my music collection too - and so with help from the discount record shop in Greenwich market yesterday - I've discovered 'Fleetwood Mac', 'Jefferson Airplane' and 'Santana', though the latter I knew a lot about anyway as my folks have a very fine collection of their LP's. So Mary is in for quite a shock - it's going to be a long night, with a helping of nice white wine! (of course)

Grins!

Emy xxx

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yap, the site should be up and running in a matter of few days (once I figure out which painting goes where). The iPhoto you're using must be newer than mine as I cannot open the iPhoto library on the CD you gave, I can open those images individually - but I've no idea which image goes to which category (I guess you've annotated each image using iPhoto). But, no worries, I'll update my iPhoto to sort that out!! :)

Unknown said...

Yes, you've got to move with the times on Apple - new versions appearing every week for everything!

;)

Anonymous said...

Yes... you're abs right as usual, I should get my OS/system right up-to-date then...!! :)

Anonymous said...

just a follow-up, updated my iPhoto to 6.05 now and will be sorting out your photos in a couple of days... :)