Monday, May 21, 2007

Cutty Sark is Torched

This is devastating - the only tea clipper surviving and it's just about been destroyed - although they say there's enough left to rebuild - thing is, she'll never be the same again. And I'll never look at her the same again. Already she was a shadow of her former self as she was going through a major restoration project and thank god 50% of her was dismantled otherwise it would have been a greater tragedy then it already is. I'm still in shock, watching the 20 ft flames engulf her on some one's amateur video, it feels like that 'my' friend was burning and I feel I've lost a part of myself because of it. Childhood memories of walking through her decks, looking up at the mighty masts and feeling her history swamp over me. She is (was) a marvel, a sight to behold, a definite symbol of Greenwich's Maritime past and now she's a sight for sore eyes. I loved her and now I mourn her pain & misery.

E xxx

No comments: